Saturday, October 24, 2009

Chris

Dear family and friends,

I received this letter on Tues. when I returned home from Calif. and the quilt show. I had seen Chris and taken him out to lunch the day previous to leaving for the BYU vs UNLV game on Oct. 4th. He told me he was afraid the judge was going to be angry at him for not holding on to his last job for more than a week. He had goals and marks to meet while assigned to the drug court. I have no idea why he is in jail, and no desire to know. Ignorance is bliss as far as I am concerned. As he says in the letter he has not used in over a year and he was subject to weekly random testing before being put back in jail so that must not be the reason. Obviously Chris being in jail is not good news, but he seems to be resigned to it.

Honestly, as Ruben and I get ready to leave on a mission at least I know where Chris is, that he has a place to sleep, food to eat and medical care. After so many years I'm really thankful for the peace that brings me.

This letter speaks for itself. If any of you wish to contact Chris his address is:

Chris Cahow
PCF ID #215209 Location U Cot 1
Purgatory Correctional Facility
750 South 5300 West
Hurricane, Ut. 84737

"Dear Mom, Oct. 17
I got kicked out of drug court last week. I am now in jail, waiting to see what happens. Hopefully, I'll be put on probation. If I get probation, I should be out of jail within the next three months. There is a slight possibility that I'll be sentenced to prison. I'll just have to wait and see. The 'lawyers' in my block seem to think I'll get out on probation. I'm hoping they're right.

Anyway, I've been clean for one year, as of today. I take pride in that, and feel pretty good about the changes I have made. I have never been clean for this long. I plan on keeping my streak alive, one day at a time.

I have decided to make the best of the time I have to spend in jail. I am going to attend three 12-step meetings per week, take a life skills course, go to Institute as well as church on Sundays. I also plan on beginning to exercise on a daily basis. I plan on writing at least 2 letters a week, cuz I want to know whats going on in the world. Letters from family members would definitely help me pass the time as well as keep my spirits up. PLEASE WRITE TO ME. Please have any willing family members do so as well. Pictures would also be nice.

Today I am of the opinion that everything happens for a reason, and that I am right where I am supposed to be. I didn't make it through drug court which is somewhat disappointing, but I did get clean by participating in drug court, and that is a great accomplishment, in and of itself. I've never done very well handling life, and that's why I'm here. I've decided to learn how to do things differently, rather than dwell on the previous mistakes that I've made.

Well, I don't have much more to say. Please write me and let me know what's going on. Hopefully I'll able to see you before you leave."


Sincerely,

Chris


Most of the stuff on the family blog makes us all smile, I'm glad for that. Before he died Dr. Suess wrote a book for adults, It's title is "Oh,The Places You'll Go". When I got Chris's letter that was my thought! Oh, the places I've gone. I really had to chuckle. But now that I'm getting older I realize that some of the WORST THINGS that have happened are the BIGGEST BLESSINGS!

By the way, all kinks with our mission application seem to be ironed out and we should get our call very soon! We'll let you know.

Love to all, Kathy

4 comments:

Us5McEuens said...

I love how you say the worst things are the biggest blessings. So true.

Thanks for the update on Chris.

The Martz Guppies said...

I have been thinking of Chris and didn't know why. I am SO glad to see this post. The title of it cought my attention and I'm glad.
Is it OK if we write to him? I know we are (as my Mom would say) "Shirt Tail Relatives", but as he said...He would like to know what is going on in the world and in the family.
We can't wait to hear where you and Ruben will be going. We are SO happy for you two.
Lots and Lots of LOVE, Kayla

Marci and Morgan said...

Thanks for posting this. We will definitely write to him. We all want what is best for Chris- hopefully this will be a blessing for him.

Debbie said...

I'm sorry to hear about Chris, I know the stress it causes when you don't know where they are, or what they are doing, yet on the other hand sometimes it's a blessing. What doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Hopefully this time he will learn and also learn the lesson that he can learn from other peoples mistakes and doesn't have to learn everything the hard way. He sounds positive at least. He'll be in our thoughts and prayers and please know if we can do anything at all we will. There is a book called "The Good Son" (at least I think that is what it is called) my neighbor has been begging me to read. See if you can track it down, I'll let you know if I find it and how it is.
Excited to hear about your mission. Did you think 15 years ago you would be where you are now? Still remember the day you told me you were going to marry Ruben. He is a great guy. Let us know when you get your call. Love to both of you.