Monday, October 29, 2007

Skydiving, Doggies, and Other Adventures








The last three weekends have all been great adventures for the Bates, first was St. George, the next weekend was Scottsdale, and this past weekend Anna and I went to Santa Rosa for Marissa's birthday.

We went to Arizona because the founder of Logoworks took the "Executive Founders" on an all-expense paid trip to celebrate the acquisition by HP. It was an incredible weekend, the highlight being the night he took us out by bus to the middle of nowhere without telling us where we were going or what we were doing (the middle of nowhere is apparently a place called Eloy, Arizona) to take us indoor skydiving. Unforunately we don't have pictures of us actually doing it because we were inside the Chamber lined up to jump in when it was our turn. Let me just insert here that it was not scary; you "jump" in and basically float in place because huge fans are blowing you up. It was very cool. I would tell you about the rest of the trip but suffice it to say it was over the top and slightly depressing as the whole time I was there I kept thinking I would probably never have a nicer weekend for the rest of my life. And in this family that means I have like 70 years to go.

This last weekend we headed out to Santa Rosa to spend the weekend at Marissa's parents house and celebrate Marissa's birthday. Anna REALLY loved Marissa's mom Sharon and her dog, Willow. The feeling was mutual, and Willow would try to jump up and lick Anna every chance she got. It was hysterical to see all of us adults freaking out, trying to get Willow down off the baby about every five minutes, all the while Anna is just smiling away, reaching out to the dog, completely unafraid or worried about any of it. We had a fun, relaxing weekend, and staying at the Beyer's is pretty much like staying at home: lots of women, cackling, Diet Coke, and buffets.

9 comments:

Marci said...

I was thinking that there was no way anyone could convince me to go skydiving- the way you did it sounds slightly less terrifying. Otherwise it all sounds like lots of fun. It is funny how mostly babies are totally cool with dogs in their faces- no matter how much we fuss about it. I'm glad you had some nice trips- and I'm sure you'll have many even more pleasant trips to come- don't despair!

Amber said...

Sounds like a fun trip and well I don't think anyone feels too sorry for you that you might never have a nicer weekend. You and Steve take vacations on a different level than most of us...Costa Rica, Europe, etc. I think you will be okay. The skydiving looks awesome. What kind of dog is that? He is very cute. But Anna is the cutest. Maggie has that same floral outfit.

noelle said...

marci, the funny thing is when we pulled into the place all we saw was this sign that said "skydive arizona" and everyone started hollering that there was NO way they were going skydiving and i was yelling the loudest of everyone. this way was MUCH better and not at all terrifying. i heard there is a place in vegas you can do it - maybe if everyone goes to the bowl game again this year it would be something to do.

amber, just know i've had to work hard to get to go on trips!!! that is a wheaten terrier - she is seriously so cute.

Anonymous said...

never said you didn't work hard for it.

Amber said...

just ignore me today...I am very grumpy

noelle said...

why are you grumpy?

Chelsea said...

Looks like fun!

Anonymous said...

For a second I thought you guys went skydiving, but this sounds like a lot more fun! Anna looks like she had a good time:)

Amber said...

i've been on a cleanse for the last week and a half and the food deprivation is getting to me. Makes me kind of contrary...which I really don't need any help with in the first place. I have lost eight pounds though and my joints feel better...so it may be worth a little grumpiness.