Wednesday, May 30, 2007

Nascar Lovers








Amber sent a report of their white trash trip, I mean their trip to the Nascar race over Memorial Day weekend...sounds like they had a great time and the pictures of Maggie in her earmuffs are adorable!

We had a great time on our trip to North Carolina. We arrived onThursday and went to qualifying for the Coca Cola 600 that night.
Friday we travelled a couple of hours to Asheville to go the Biltmore Estate. The house was really cool and so were the gardens. Asheville was one of Matt's areas on his mission. Saturday we spent most of the day at the track watching practice and qualifying for the Busch race that night. Sunday, Mom Ruben and Matt went to church in a really nice ward in Kannapolis, which is close to where the races were. I stayed back at the hotel with Maggie...she was still asleep when church started. We went to the race at about 4:00 and didn't get back to our hotel room until about 1:30 am. There were approximately 160,000 people at the race which made for a parking nightmare. We had a really good time and even Mom said she thought the race was fun. For the Saturday night race we sat in the general section of fans and most of them were pretty drunk. Sunday we sat in the family section and things were much calmer. As you can imagine the people watching was great, I tried to get mom to wear a tank top and short shorts so we could fit in, but she wouldn't do it. You can see in one of the pictures that Matt bought one of Carl Edward's pit crew shirts and he wore that to the Busch race. Ruben got one also. Maggie was a big hit at the races. People thought she was so cute in her ear muffs. Quite a few people actually took her picture. She didn't seem to mind the ear coverings and was a great baby for the trip. We had a great time and I personally can't wait to go to my next race.

11 comments:

Marci said...

She looks so cute- you are right, I can't believe she was so happy wearing those huge thing on her head!! Sounds like some long days- I'm glad you had a good time despite it all!

Chelsea said...

Looks like fun!

johnEboy said...

Maggie is absolutely adorable but at the same time I'm really worried about her upbringing. Attending NASCAR at 6 months of age!?

Anonymous said...

Someone at the race commented to me that it was fine if she came to a race at such a young age, just as long as she didn't grow up to be an Earnhardt Jr. fan. We are training our kids very young to be Nascar fans. The sport has to have some people who have all their teeth in the crowd.

noelle said...

i can just imagine the teeples five or six years from now - everyone decked out in head-to-toe carl edwards paraphenilia, sitting in the stands on a yet another sunday after having taken out another mortgage to finance their nascar habit, kate in a nascar related bikini top and parker taking sips off some guy from arkansas's beer hat. i see where this is going and i don't like it.

Chelsea said...

I like Nascar too! Andrew, Eddie and I watch the races every week! I am also a cousin Carl fan! Eddie prefers Juan Pablo Montoya, because he is a former Formula One driver, too bad he 22 in the Nextel standings!

Anonymous said...

You are all insane, I think that maybe actually going to a race would be fun- but to watch it on TV!?!! I loved the pictures, I'm not surprised that Margaret was such a hit!

johnEboy said...

Check out the woman(?) standing up over Amber's right shoulder. Could that be little Maggie in 25 years, looking like she's 50? I really hope that person was wearing underwear under the t-shirt.

Anonymous said...

Ha ha ha...you guys are all such comedians. And I was hoping someone would notice that lady. That is what most people looked like there. Mom and I had more clothes on than any other woman we saw. One day you will all be Nascar fans and I will be able to say, I told you so. It is so much fun. As for Juan Pablo...he is annoying, Eddie needs to pick a new favorite. But not Tony Stewart, Kyle or Kurt Busch. They are worse than Juan.

noelle said...

i MEANT to call out the woman in that shirt in the blog but forgot (maggie was too cute and she kept distracting me). good call, john. that woman is the epitome of the nascar fanbase. amber, please be aware that that element has a way of rubbing off on you. just look at honey. she has been going to the water wheel for so long that she told me she's thinking about buying a bikini. i'm just saying.

Anonymous said...

Did something happen while I have been living in Europe and NASCAR is no longer a PWT sport? Was the mobil home you guys stayed in nice? How was sleeping in the infield with cousin Cletus?

Chelse - you get that present I sent you?

Amber - did Kate get the postcard I sent her?

Humm, maybe a trend with Polish mail.

Ruben