Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Big Lies and the Liars Who Tell Them







People have been lying to me today.

First big lie: Anna was supposed to have her four month checkup at 3 pm today so Steve and I planned our day around making sure we could both be there (mostly, we're both excited to see how much she weighs). Bridget left at 2:30 and I rush to try and get everything done with work so I don't have to worry if the wait is a little long. I pump a bottle, pack the diaper bag, and keep Anna awake only to get there and find out the doctor had some emergency he had to attend to. The receptionist says in this exasperated voice, "We've been calling and calling you to tell you..." and then informs me we can wait to see the PA but it's going to be at least an hour or more before she will get to us. I ask her what number she's been calling and she reads off my cell phone number, so I pull out my phone, show her my call list and say, "That's so weird because I don't have any missed calls and no calls from this office today at all." She couldn't look me in the eye while I rescheduled our appointment.

I have to admit though that mostly we didn't want to wait because there was a family of wild kids in the waiting room who were all running around without shirts or shoes on. If I want to see neglected children I'll go to Wal-Mart.

Second big lie: I am in line waiting to pick up lunch for me and Bridget and I get to talking about babies with the girl standing next to me (sidenote: isn't it so weird how women who would probably never otherwise talk to you all the sudden become your best friend just because you've both had a baby?). Anyway, we got on the subject of losing baby weight and I told her I haven't lost a pound since two weeks after Anna was born. She says to me with the self-assurance of Margaret Thatcher, "Oh, if you had breastfed it would have all melted off by now. I lost all the weight with both my babies in just a few weeks." I wanted to punch her lights out. I told her I do breastfeed her, so then she just looked at me like I must have no self control.

Third big lie: Someone at church told me you love your baby the most the first few weeks after they are born. Lie! I can't get enough of this kid right now - as you can see from some pictures we took this week, I can eat baby chub every chance I get.

11 comments:

Amber said...

She is so cute and smiley...she wasn't smiling all that much the last time I saw her. I love the Michelin arms.

noelle said...

yes, she has started to laugh too, which of course i think is the cutest sound in the world. her arms look like a roll of lifesavers...

Marci said...

I can't believe that girl actually said that to you like that- obviously she is one of those idiots who never came to the realization that not everyones body works the same way. An incredibly uninformed little twit who will probably have to go on prozac when she turns 22 and the baby weight doesn't 'just melt away in the first few weeks' after having a baby!

Anonymous said...

Did all of that happen in one day? even in a week, that is pretty funny. I seriously laughed out loud at the Walmart comment, so true!!! I love the pictures. I can't believe how much she has changed just in the last month!

noelle said...

yes, the first two happened yesterday, the church thing a few weeks ago. lots of liars out roaming the streets yesterday. and marci, you don't know how many times i've heard that - "it will just melt off while you're breastfeeding." so annoying. luckily since i had the baby lots of (sane) women have told me they couldn't lose an ounce until they stopped breastfeeding, so i've been less depressed about it.

Marci said...

I gain more weight while breastfeeding because I get soooo hungry for the first few months! I usually start losing around 9 months old- but it's a slow process so don't dispair! I have heard that all the time too- and it's true for some, but definitely not for most. But we do have to take into account that some of these "informers" actually are under 23 and I'd imagine that it's a LOT easier to drop it at that age.

Amber said...

People are so reatarded. Why do they say anything at all? And Marci...I do the same thing you do. Gain for the first 9 months or so and then a little comes off...unfortunately not all of it. Although I have to admit that I have never tried that hard. At least some of us in the family have the same problem.

noelle said...

i think all of the women in our family do the same thing - either gain or just keep all the weight on until they wean. i guess bridget doesn't apply, little stinker that she is. wait, beth and chelsea any maybe emily don't either. scratch that theory. notice that the older ones of us have a harder time, so marci is right, it probably has something to do with age too.

KA said...

I'm not a random blog-stalker......just a friend of Noelle's.......sorry for commenting on your family blog. But, I mean, I needed to thank Amber for teaching me what the fathead of a nascar is. I never would have known.

Also, I secretly just wanted to be part of the had-a-baby-and-having-body-image-issues rant.

noelle said...

kristen, amber teaches all of us lots of things. amber is my sister who lives in vegas and is currently the relief society president of a ward in which a number of families seem to have issues. while on a family vacation this summer, amber's best quote (and said completely matter-of-factly) was, "i'm up to my ears in compassionate service. it's a pain in the butt."

we love her.

Amber said...

Noelle...that was a secret.